Transfers cargo between ships and other forms of transport or storage facilities.
- Skill Level
- Alternative Titles
- Wharf Labourer
- Skills Assessment Authority
- No caveats apply to this occupation.
Group: 8911 Freight and Furniture Handlers
load and unload trucks, containers and rail cars, and transfer cargo between ships and other forms of transport and storage facilities.
- labelling goods with customers’ details and destinations
- loading goods into trucks, containers and rail wagons, and securing loads
- assisting to tie down loads and cover them with tarpaulins
- guiding truck drivers into loading bays and through confined spaces
- performing clerical functions to record and check cargo on arrival, storage and despatch
- opening and closing hatches and securing cargo to prevent shifting during voyages
- transferring loads using moving equipment and directing equipment operations using communication systems
- stacking cargo on pallets, trays, flats and slings to facilitate transfer to and from ships
- Skill Level
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
- Occupations in this Group
- 891111 Freight Handler (Rail or Road)
- 891112 Truck Driver’s Offsider
- 891113 Waterside Worker
Looking to apply for an Australia Visa under the occupation of Waterside Worker – ANZSCO 891113?
We’d love to hear from you. Let us know about your journey so far in our comments below!