Well, all of 5 days ago I wrote about whether or not it was now the right time to buy a house. Since then I think it’s fair to say things have moved quite quickly.
We arranged for our funds to be transferred over from the UK. Slightly gutted that the exchange rate was lower then it was when we transferred some funds over earlier this year but we still managed to secure a rate of $2.36 to the UK pound.
Sods law, the rates have improved (at time of typing it’s sitting at $2.40 to the UK pound) but I could stress over this for ever.
Last weekend we decided to look at the display village at Burns Beach. If you remember I wrote about the land for sale at Burns beach a while ago. We didn’t plan to buy land at Burns Beach but the display village gave us a good opportunity to look at a number of different home styles and what beautiful homes they are.
I really have no idea who they use to decorate these places but god; these people know how to give a good first impression. I remember when I took some photos of a show house we visited Last February which looked really nice but these ones..Wow!
I don’t think it was just the interior either; the exteriors were equally amazing. Beautiful swimming pools and landscaping, water features and decking. It was Ground Force meets Changing Rooms on steroids and it really gave us the appetite for buying our own home.
The house prices were also pretty reasonable starting at under $200,000 and rising to $550,000 but remember again, this is for the brinks and mortar and didn’t include the cost of the land.
This is where the second part of our visit to Burns Beach came in. After looking at the show homes we popped into the Land Office to get some plans and indicative land prices.
Most of the good plots had already been taken, there were some left but these were ranging from between $500,000 to $750,000 for blocks of land that were only an average of 500 Square Meters in Size.
If you’re not up for doing the Math, this means to buy a house on Burns Beach you’d be looking at forking out between $700,000 to a very cool $1.3 Million. In good old English Money that’s a very chunky £290,000 to £540,000..big bucks!
So, we had an idea what we’d be forking out new, now it was time to look at what we could get if we were to buy property that had already been built.
So off to Realestate.com.au I went to do a little searching, looking at properties in some of the suburbs we’d already seen, and also looking at some of the surrounding suburbs that we knew of but hadn’t really spent much time and in. Then we saw it!
If houses could look at you with puppy dog eyes and say â€œplease buy meâ€ then this one had them. It was having a home open the following day so we decided to take a look ‘just to see what kind of house you can get for your money’. Well, that was the plan anyway.
The house is in a suburb called Quinns Rocks which is a little further North then the house we are currently living in, in Kinross. It sits right on the Western Australia Coast line and is about 40km north of Perth’s CBD which will mean another 5 minutes for me on the train but what a beautiful house.
When we walked into the house it just felt right. It felt like a ‘home’. The property is only 4 years old so it’s pretty modern by design. 4 bedrooms, 2 Bathroom, double Garage all set on a 750 Square Metre block. It even has a great pool in the back which will provide some welcome relief from the hot summer sun.
Junior liked the house and the missus liked it more. We weren’t really planning to buy a house now as we’d only recently renewed the lease on the house we’re renting but we thought sod it and put an offer in which was accepted two days ago.
I’ll write a separate Blog Entry to give you all a little more information on buying a house in Australia once we’ve completed the sale but one thing worthy of a mention is the fact that when buying a house, when you make an offer you have to do it in writing and once you’ve done that and it’s accepted you are then legally obliged to buy the house!
This is such a better system then the one back in the UK as it stops people from putting in offers and then changing their mind at a later date.
The only way we can get out of this contract is if we can’t get financing. Although we have a good chunk of money to put towards the house we’ll still need a little extra cash from the bank. We’ll also need to spend a little on the house on a couple of things like Air Conditioning which is sadly lacking.
If all goes well, we should be in a position to complete by the end of September. I guess the benefit of renewing our lease is the fact that we can then get the work done that we need to make our new home perfect without having to live around workmen (especially with Junior number two pending).
Fingers crossed we’ll be in by Christmas! With a new baby on the way and a house to buy and move into it’s going to be a very busy few months.