Australia Working Holiday Visa Rules Eased In Bid To Help Regional Australia Recover From Bushfires
in ,

Australia Working Holiday Visa Rules Eased

Australia Working Holiday Visa rules eased in bid to help regional Australia recover from bushfires.

The Federal Government has unveiled temporary changes to working holiday visas which it says will make it easier for backpackers to help rebuild fire-ravaged communities and stay in Australia longer.

The changes allow a person who assists with bushfire recovery efforts to work with the same employer for one year, up from an initial maximum of six months, and paid and volunteer disaster recovery work in declared bushfire-hit zones will count towards the “specified work” needed for second or third-year visas.

Working Holiday Visa Tax - All Your WHV Tax Questions Answered

Key points:

  • Regional employers will be able to hire backpackers for a year under the changes — up from six months

  • Volunteer work helping rebuild fire-ravaged properties and businesses will also be counted in the visa scheme

  • BlazeAid’s president believes the changes will help accommodate a flood of young volunteers from overseas

Traditionally focused on farming-related work in rural areas, the changes mean Backpackers are also set to help with demolition, land clearing and repairs to dams, roads and railways.

Construction work in disaster zones, including land clearing, rebuilding fences and homes, and demolition, will now fall under the government’s definition of specified work, which working holidaymakers have to complete if they wish to stay in Australia for a second or third year.

“These hard-working Australians have been hit by the recent bushfires, but from today they can employ backpackers for six months longer, helping them at a critical time in the recovery effort,” Acting Immigration Minister Alan Tudge said.

Australia Horticulture Labour Agreement - New Pathways To PR

“It means working holidaymakers can help rebuild homes, fences and farms, and they can get onto properties and help with demolition, land clearing, and repairing dams, roads and railways.”

Applicants for a working holiday visa must be between 18 and 30 years of age and be a citizen of an eligible country. You can read more about how to apply for a working Holiday Visa here. You can also view our current Working Holiday Job Listings here.

Article Rating

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia. Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assistance. If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Community Forums. Please note All information provided on Getting Down Under should be considered in conjunction with our disclaimer. Please seek professional advice if you have any doubts! 

Notify of
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Australian Visa Skillselect Invitation Round Results October 2020

Skillselect Invitation Rounds – January 2020

March 2020 Australia Skilled Occupations List Updates

Australia Skilled Occupations List – March 2020 Changes