Australia Visa Overview

Student Visa (Subclass 500)

When it comes to moving to Australia, one of the most confusing aspects is the vast myriad of visa options you can choose as a basis for your Australia Visa application. One of these visa options is the Student Visa (Subclass 500) and to assist our visitors we have provided a high-level summary of this visa class below.

Student Visa (Subclass 500) Overview

The Student (Temporary) (Class TU) (Subclass 500) visa allows for the entry of genuine international students to Australia for the purpose of studying in the country on a temporary basis.


  • You may be in or outside Australia to lodge a valid visa application.
  • This visa allows you to work (with specific conditions and limitations), study and live in Australia.
  • This is a Temporary visa and allows you to stay in Australia temporarily. The type and length of your course of study will determine the length of your visa.
The Australian Skilled Migration stream

Key Eligibility requirements

  • You must be enrolled in a course of study (eCOE).
  • You must meet the genuine temporary stay requirement (GTE).
  • If required by the Minister, you may need to provide evidence of your level of English language proficiency.
  • You must be able to demonstrate that you have access to sufficient funds to cover the cost of your stay in Australia including the ability to pay course fees, travel to and from Australia and living cost.
  • You must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance (OSHC)
  • You must satisfy certain Public Interest criteria and Special Return criteria.
  • You must meet health and character requirements.

Student Visa (Subclass 500) – Is this Visa type for you?

If you are considering applying for a Student Visa (Subclass 500) we would love to hear from you. Tell us about your journey in our comments below. If you have any questions we encourage you to post these in our forums. You can access our community forums by Clicking Here.

Australia Wants It's Temporary Migrants Back As Soon As Possible

Please note this is only a high-level summary of the Student Visa (Subclass 500) visa

The above is not an exhaustive list of requirements for the Student Visa (Subclass 500). This content on this page is provided for Getting Down Under visitors as general information purposes only, it is not immigration advice and must not be construed as such. While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the accuracy of the information cannot be guarantee due to the frequent changes in migration law. Please view our Disclaimer for more information. Post Last Updated: 2020-10-12 11:36:54

Article Rating

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia. Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assistance. If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Community Forums. Please note All information provided on Getting Down Under should be considered in conjunction with our disclaimer. Please seek professional advice if you have any doubts! 

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Australia Visa Overview

Training Visa (Subclass 407)

Australia Visa Overview

Visitor Visa (Subclass 600)