Australia Visa Overview

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)

The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) lets parents live in Australia permanently if they have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen who is settled in Australia.

You pay more for this visa than a normal parent visa because it significantly reduces the waiting time by the payment of a much larger application fee in the form of a contribution.

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) – Key Eligibility requirements 

You must meet the balance of family test. You meet this requirement if either:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia or
  • more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

You must be sponsored by an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. The sponsor needs to have been living lawfully in Australia for at least two years before you apply for this visa. For most applicants, your child or your child’s spouse or de facto partner will need to sponsor you.

Skilled Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)

You can include the following people in your visa application at the time of lodgement:

  • your partner (married or de facto)
  • your or your partner’s dependent children
  • other dependent relatives.

What Can You Do With The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143)?

Upon grant of the Contributory Parent visa, you will be able to live in Australia permanently.  It lets you and any family members who have also been granted this visa:

  • stay in Australia indefinitely
  • work and study in Australia
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
  • apply for Australian citizenship (if you are eligible)
  • sponsor eligible relatives for permanent residence
  • travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa is granted (after that time, you will need a resident return visa or another visa to return to Australia).

Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) – Application Process

You can apply for this visa outside Australia. You can also apply in Australia, but only if your temporary visa allows you to apply for another visa while you are in Australia. You must be outside Australia at the time the visa is granted unless you hold a Contributory Parent (Temporary) (143) or a bridging visa.

Submitting An Expression Of Interest (EOI) In SkillSelect

Is the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) for you?

If you are considering applying for a Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) we would love to hear from you. Tell us about your journey in our comments below. If you have any questions we encourage you to post these in our forums. You can access our community forums by Clicking Here.

Please note this is only a high-level summary of the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) 

The above is not an exhaustive list of requirements for the Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143). This content on this page is provided for Getting Down Under visitors as general information purposes only, it is not immigration advice and must not be construed as such. While due care has been taken to ensure that the content is kept-up-to-date and correct, the accuracy of the information cannot be guarantee due to the frequent changes in migration law. Please view our Disclaimer for more information. Post Last Updated: 2020-10-13 15:40:52

Work and Holiday Visa (Subclass 462)


5 1 vote
Article Rating

Written by Mark

As the founder of Getting Down Under, Mark is passionate about demystifying the process associated with a move to Australia. Having launched Getting Down Under in early January 2006 and made the move to Australia from the UK in the same year, Mark continues to share resources and support for those looking for assistance. If you have a question for Mark, please post in our Community Forums. Please note All information provided on Getting Down Under should be considered in conjunction with our disclaimer. Please seek professional advice if you have any doubts! 

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Australia Visa Overview

Aged Parent Visa (Subclass 804)

How Much Can You Earn On A Working Holiday Visa In Australia

How Much Can You Earn On A Working Holiday Visa In Australia?